Bible Verses About Storms
Life is filled with trying and uncertain times but the Bible reminds us that God is always by our side to walk with us through the storms. These storms do not last forever, but when we are experiencing turbulent times it is important to seek out God for refuge and shelter.
There are many different types of struggles that people have to endure in life. It could be dealing with a worldwide pandemic, loss of a loved one, divorce, or unemployment to name a few. These times can be overwhelming and stressful but if we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, the Bible promises that he will never leave us.
There are many instances in the Bible where God protects his people from physical storms. These are profound lessons and to this day, they can be applied to us as we navigate the symbolic storms we face in everyday life. Storms prepare us for greater battles in our lives; we learn different lessons about ourselves, life, and how to place control in the Lord God's powerful hands. Below I will take a look into scriptures about storms and why they are a good fit for this theme. Read below.
What Does the Bible Say About Storms?
Let's dive straight into understanding what the scriptures say about challenging times. These Bible verses about storms will give insight into why we experience certain situations in life that can feel like a storm. They all have a common message, God conquers the storms with us.
1. “He replied, ‘You of little faith, why are you so afraid?' Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm." Matthew 8:26 NIV
This Bible verse about storms reminds us that God is always in control and he encourages us to place our trust in him when things get shaky and we feel uncertain. Jesus had fallen asleep on the boat and during this time the waves of the sea grew as the wind howled fiercely.
Jesus heard frightened boatmen who woke him saying that they needed calm from the stormy wind and water. He rebuked the wind and there was instant calm from the stormy wind which lifted. Jesus reminded his followers that they should not fear during these times but place their trust in God and know that he will save them from the stormy wind.
2. "It will be a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and rain." Isaiah 4:6 NIV
This is one of the most powerful Bible verses that reinforces the fact that the Lord is a source of refuge and strength. When we are facing hard times Jesus will protect us from the storm and rain that is symbolic of hardships that might affect us negatively. When we seek out the Lord he will act as a shelter from the storm.
3. "You rule over the surging sea; when its waves mount up, you still them." Psalm 89:9 NIV
This Bible verse refers to how powerful the Lord Almighty is. He is in control of all things and can even control the most powerful natural elements of the universe. This reminds us that the Lord is the creator of all things, making him the ruler of the earth and all of its inhabitants.
4. “He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed.” Psalm 107:29 NIV
Once again we see how the power of the Lord is demonstrated in his ability to control natural elements. We see how he can easily calm the turbulent winds and the sea that can become very violent during a storm.
5. "I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears." Psalm 34:4
Fears are crutches that can prevent people from living a fulfilled life in Christ. When we allow fear to overcome us and we are burdened with anxiety, it is hard to function and complete day to day tasks.
God calls us to place all our anxiety on him as he saves us from the troubles of the world. If we live a life that is centered around Jesus and remain steadfast in our belief that he is our Saviour, he will deliver us from all of our anxieties and fears.
6. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
In this passage, the Bible talks more directly to the storms that we will face in our lives. Acknowledging things will not always go as planned, often bringing pain and hardship. We are however consoled that through Jesus we will find peace.
God may not always immediately rectify our situation but if we seek him we will find comfort and refuge. This scripture encourages us to have faith in God who has overcome the world, and in doing so can overcome all things.
7. “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.” 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 ESV
Life can be harsh and we can constantly feel burdened by things out of our control. It can feel as though we are constantly being knocked down and unable to reach our full potential. In times like these, these Bible verses give us hope.
When life feels like a constant storm and difficulties feel as though they are knocking us down like harsh waves of the sea, Jesus is there protecting us, says the Lord. If we place our trust and faith in him, he will shade us from the heat of an overwhelming world.
8. “For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.” Colossians 1:16-17 ESV
9. “For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat; for the breath of the ruthless is like a storm against a wall” Isaiah 25:5 ESV
Our journey on this earth is difficult, we will face extremely trying and difficult times. Hardships we do not understand and troubles that feel as though they will last forever. These difficulties are aptly described in the Bible as a ruthless storm against a wall, constant and unforgiving.
But the good news is that the Lord will never leave us or forsake us in times that might feel like mighty overflowing waters disrupting our lives. If we behold the Lord he will shelter us from the storm and shield us from the breath of the ruthless.
10. "To the choirmaster: according to Do Not Destroy. A Miktam of David, when he fled from Saul, in the cave. Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by." Psalm 57:1 ESV
God is the Almighty and we are reminded of his power in this descriptive Bible verse. As humans on earth, we often feel as though there is no solution to a problem. We become frustrated and despondent with things that are thrown at us but here we are reminded that not all bad times last forever.
During these times of turmoil and tribulation, we need to seek refuge within the Lord's wings. He will protect us and shelter us from the storms of life, until the destruction of what can feel like a storm has passed.
Final Thoughts on Verses About Storms
Life is a journey of different seasons from times of growth, times of fruitfulness, and times of hardship and God journeys with you throughout these seasons. He reminds us to place our faith and trust in him when we are experiencing times of extreme turmoil.
The above Bible verses about storms are all reminders that God is a constant comfort during hard times. He can calm the storms in our lives, as well as help us weather the storms. All that we have to do is place our trust in him.