Stress can truly damage us and lead us down paths where we do not want to be. So it is important to heed the words of Jesus to help us in overcoming trials.
Below are verses about stress and worry, managing stress and verses to help you to cope with stress because there is not one person on earth that does not deal with stress and here is a safe place to lead you away from it.
Bible verses about stress and worry
1. But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.” - 1 Peter 3:14
Stress and fear are both so interlinked. When losing a job we stress and fear financial ruin. But this verse tells us that we are blessed when are afraid especially if we have made the decision to do what is right in the Lord’s eyes,
For example, if you were working for someone that was a thief and now you decide to stop working for them. God counts your suffering as a blessing, so he blesses you for the sacrifice. Therefore you do not have anything to worry about, God will take good care of you.
2. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. - 2 Timothy 1:7
Stress is part of the sinful nature we carry. Stress usually reveals to us what we care about most. Sometimes it helps us see the idols in our lives. But God has blessed us as Christians with His Holy Spirit, so we are to rejoice in the fact that we have a new identity, which is secured by the blood of Jesus. We have a future that is secured by His resurrection.
3. “ say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution, he will come to save you.” - Isaiah 35:4
In the Old Testament, we find plenty of prophecies about a servant king coming, we find that God always comes through for His people, to redeem them and to save them from iniquity and from their enemies.
It says He will use divine retribution, meaning He will move heaven and earth for you. All our lives are in His hands and the sooner we realise that We can use His sovereignty or the fact that He is in control as a pillow to rest our heads to.
4. ”So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” - Isaiah 41:10
The word dismayed that has been used here means distress or concern, So God is telling you directly “Do not stress, because I am your God”. Imagine you were a person who had lost everything, food, clothing and a home, a job.
But this rich billionaire decides to give you all of his riches. In this case, that billionaire is God, He is richer than all the billionaires on earth put together and He gave His life for you. What more do you think He will do for you?
5. “Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.” - Luke 12:22
Stress can become so tedious, we stress about things that are not permanent but temporary. It is rather better to direct our stress to things that are above. Those are true treasures, like eternal life, where are we going to spend it? There are only two options and it is best we are on the right track rather than on the wrong path.
So let us remind ourselves of the things that truly do matter. Eternal life is an unending time. So there is no going back. It is important that we do worry but not about unnecessary things. God is a God who provides us with nourishment, shelter, He does not want us to worry about things as simple as those.
Bible verses about managing stress:
6. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything” - James 1:2-4
Managing stress is truly a tough thing to do, however, in our stress we can look at the bigger picture. James says we should count it joy when we face trials. The same trend is found all over the new Testament, suffering is not a loss in the eyes of Jesus but a blessing.
The more we suffer for the sake of Jesus’ kingdom, the more blessings we receive. I am not saying go and hunt for suffering. But make sacrifices for Jesus, do His will and not your own. In that space, that is where stress turns into comfort because you will now lack nothing.
7. “Stand firm, and you will win life.”- Luke 21:19
Standing firm means persevering for the right things. Standing for the right values, beliefs and morals. Winning life in this verse might not be what you think it is. So many out there promise an abundance of the current life we lead.
That prosperity is a door we can walk through, that we would be rich, successful with a big house and many cars and the best school for our children but true prospering in the eyes of God goes beyond this life.
It is a new life, eternal life in Jesus Christ that is more valuable. So a life of discomfort, a life of pain and stress is worth it in the end. When Jesus returns, the meek shall inherit the earth.
8. “Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands give me delight.” - Psalm 119:143
The writers of Psalm 119 express how much they delight in God’s word. When you meditate on God’s word, memorise it, apply it to your life and pray about it daily, stress and worry become so small because in God’s laws and statutes you find grace, mercy, healing and eternal life.
Worry is a thing of the old you and in Jesus, you are more peaceful than anything else.
9. “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” - Matthew 6:34
Going through life, every day seems to have new trouble but Jesus tells us not to worry or stress about it. We do live in a fallen world with many troubles but what we need to do is try and recognize the lesson in each struggle.
We need to see it and learn from its truth and move on. Because the next time we are faced with the trial, we are stronger and wiser than we were before.
10. “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” - Exodus 14:14
Sometimes we stress because we think it is our job to fight the battles the enemy throws at us but we can one hundred percent find comfort in knowing that God is the one who is fighting our battles for us and we only need to be still in trusting Him.
11. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” - Philippians 4:6
Stress and anxiety can so easily hinder us from reaching out to God who is a place of comfort, the enemy wants you to stay in a place of uncertainty, he wants stress to overcome you, but you need to fight back and get on your knees, coming before God and asking for His help.
Thanksgiving in your prayers will reveal to you what you have that is good in your life and help you move your focus away from all that is bad. Then present your worries and cares to God and He will provide what you need at any given moment.
12. “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” - Luke 12:25-26
Stress can consume all of your life if you do not put an end to it. Worrying is unnecessary, it prevents you from making logical decisions and solving the problems at hand. So pray that the Holy Spirit gives you the comfort you need to handle the day, the week and its tasks.
13. “Then you will win favour and a good name in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” - Proverbs 3:4-6
Submission is a big step in managing stress. But it is submission to God. When we have stressors that need removing, we need to bring them to His feet and leave them there. Because stress comes from our own understanding of the situation but God’s understanding is different,
He does not see the obstacle ahead of you but He sees a step to greatness for you. He sees your character growing, He sees troubles that will only make you stronger. So it is important to lean on His understanding and submitting yours.
Bible verses to get through stressful times:
14. I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. - Jeremiah 29:11
There is a bigger picture you are missing if stress has consumed so much of your day if it has broken you to the point where you think there is no return. You are wrong because Jesus delivers.
He brings us out of the darkness and one day you will look back at that stressor and say “there is nothing that the world can throw at me that would be a surprise” because you will be wiser, stronger and you will trust in Jesus.
15. “Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?”- Matthew 6:26
God knows exactly how many pieces of hair you have on your body, he knows exactly what you are feeling, he knows why you cry yourself to sleep, he knows why you feel the need to say certain things. He hears your cries, feels what you feel and acknowledges you.
He knows you better than you even know yourself. He understands you better than anybody else. Do you see how much He values you? He laid down His life for you. He came down from His throne and died so you can have eternal life and freedom. That is true love.
You are valued and there is nothing standing in the way that He would not do for your benefit.
16. “ And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28
(Rom. 8:28) The will of God works all things for our benefit. Even the things we do not consider as good gifts come from him, including our breath. Despite our plans not going as planned, he continues to work on bringing us closer to him. In all his wisdom, the Lord sees things that we cannot (Prov. 16:9). So we need to submit out finite ideologies and submit to His infinite understanding.
17. “In their hearts, humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.” - Proverbs 16:9
We all have an idea of what our lives should be in order to live a life of happiness and joy and comfort. However, God has His own plan and we need to submit to it. It might not be a plan you are happy with, your life might not be sunshine and roses but Eternal life awaits all those who believe in Jesus Christ.
The life we live currently on earth will one day come to an end but here is where our fate is determined, Are we to follow Jesus or our desires. Are we to surrender all that we want for His glory?
18. “Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.”- Romans 8:17
The ultimate goal of His work is to protect our heavenly inheritance for we are heirs, “heirs of God and fellow heirs with Jesus, provided that we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him” (Romans 8:17). So when we are faced with stressors or with trials, understand that there is more to it than the pain and struggle we are dealing with.
19. “Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness— in the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time, and which now at his appointed season he has brought to light through the preaching entrusted to me by the command of God our Savior,” - Titus 1:1-3
Jesus has secured an eternal future and identity for his people that is so certain as the very chair you sit on, as certain as the sun rising tomorrow morning. We must remember that our God is sovereign and He always keeps his promises. God’s nature goes against lies, He is all holy so He will not lie to you even in times of distress. He is a faithful God.
Even in the midst of doubt, God's love comforts us. By raising his Son from the dead, the Father faithfully took us into the kingdom of His beloved Son (1 Cor. 15). In this kingdom, all our desires will come to a point and will be fulfilled by Jesus Christ.
20. “The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.” - Romans 8:6
Govern your life according to God’s Holy Spirit, do not let the flesh win in terms of overwhelming stress. God is peace and there is no fear or stress found in Him, but only Security.
21. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” - John 14:27
When Jesus provides peace, he provides peace beyond our comprehension. He is in control and there is no trouble, no fear that can take hold of you that is too great for Him to rid you of.
He gives us peace through His Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) which is part of the fruit of the Spirit so when stressed it is important to seek His comfort, to seek understanding through His perspective, so we can understand the actual peace we possess in the current moment.
We have peace, so rebuke stress because that is not who you are anymore. You are made new by the work of Jesus Christ.
So when you find yourself in a place where you see no way out. Remember that these verses are available for you to read, memorise them and remember who is in control. Remember who is the God that you serve and remember that He loves you more than you can fathom.
Stress is an attack from the enemy, so pray against it and pray that God will lead you down the path of peace, so you can see clearly what tasks lie ahead of you.