15 Bible Verses about Anxiety (Learn to calm it from God, Click here)
Bible verses about Anxiety
Anxiety is a major concern in our world today but the good news is that many persons are becoming more vulnerable and are sharing their struggles with this problem.
God is concerned about every aspect of our lives, including our mental health and by reading His scriptures; you can find strength and healing as you claim His promises. Be encouraged by these comforting bible verses as you lean on God’s strength in dealing with anxiety.
Table of Contents
- How does God help us with Anxiety?
- Bible verses about Anxiety and Depression
- Bible Verses about Panic and Anxiety
- Bible verses about Anxiety and Fear
- Bible verses to Calm Anxiety
How does God help us with Anxiety?
There’s nothing that we experience in life that escapes God knowledge. God is always available to help us in times of need and He is interested in our wholistic health and development. He has provided many assurances in His words to remind us of His constant presence and we can also seek Him through meditation and prayer.
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33. God knows that we will endure tribulation in this world but He has given us the assurance that through His victory, we too can claim that same victory over anxiety and live in peace.
Bible verses about Anxiety and Depression
Anxiety and depression can be eradicated by reading and believing in God’s words. Here are some bible verses about anxiety and depression which will provide you with the assurance of God’s unfailing love and care:
1. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. Psalm 94:19
When his heart was overwhelmed and he was tormented by perplexing thoughts, David expressed his confidence in God, knowing that He will restore his peace and happiness. Anxiety can bring many doubts and fears, but God is able to give you His everlasting joy when you seek and trust in Him.
2. Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up. Proverbs 12:25
There is nothing more comforting than to hear comforting words in time of sadness and despair. Kind words are like medicine and those who seek to encourage others in their period of anxiety and depression are fulfilling God’s divine mandate in touching the lives of others in a positive way so that they can be restored to their former state of peace and happiness.
3. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34
One of the best ways to cope with anxiety is to live in the present moment. Jesus reminds us that we should not spend so much time focusing on the things in the future, but rather to trust Him to provide our daily provisions.
4. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39
Paul is resolute in his decision to hold strongly to God regardless of anything that may confront him. The apostle Paul faced many situations of pain and turmoil in his life including imprisonment and was also shipwrecked. As a result of these experiences, he could’ve sunk into depression, yet he places his full confidence in God, knowing that nothing that he experienced would cause him to be separated from God.
In times of depression and anxiety, it is always important to stay under the protection and guidance of God.
5. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
The encumbrances of life can threaten our peace but it is so good to know that we can cast all our cares on God – our family cares, health cares, relationship cares; Paul reminds us that God still cares. You can give to God every burden that seeks to depress or make you anxious, God is waiting to relief you and grant you His love, joy and peace.
6. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
Anxiety and depression do not have to consume us as Paul reminds us that when we place our trust in God and rely on His promises, then we can live a better quality of life. There’s nothing we can accomplish in our own strength and when we submit to God’s leading, He will always guide us on a path of safety and restoration.
7. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
In God’s message to the children of Israel, He reminded them that even though they would be in exile under the Babylonian empire, He was still in control of their lives. Their future was in God’s hands and all that they go through is not permanent as He has their best interest at heart.
The situations that confront us may be daunting, but God will calm our fears and protect us from the enemy’s attacks. God knows what’s ahead of each of us and He has great plans for your future. You can relax and trust in His divine plans.
Bible Verses about Panic and Anxiety
Panic and anxiety can be debilitating, not just to your mental health but also your physical health. Here are some bible verses that will help you to cope with panic and anxiety:
8. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,”he said, “why did you doubt?” And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Matthew 14:30-32
The disciples were in the boat one night when they were confronted by a boisterous storm. They were very afraid and Jesus later appeared on the water and asked Peter to step out on the water. Peter walked on the water but the minute he took his eyes off Jesus, He began to panic and sink.
When we keep our eyes on Christ, we can always trust Him to gently lead us on this journey of life, Keep focused on God’s word and allow Him to guard your life as He gently guide you through life’s difficult storms.
9. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lordyour God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
As Joshua prepares to embark on his new leadership opportunity having succeeded Moses, he got the assurance from God that He will also be with him just like he did Moses. We too can trust in God’s divine plan and ability to always be with us to provide us with wisdom and guidance to fulfil His perfect will.
You too can live a courageous life as you seek to find comfort in God. He will always be with you wherever you go, so trust Him and you will reap the rewards of His goodness towards you.
Bible verses about Anxiety and Fear
God wants His children to live in peace and contentment. In His goodness and sovereignty, His desire to relieve His children of anything that will prevent them from living a life of fulfilment. Here are some bible verses that will help you to cope with anxiety and fear:
10. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
The valley experience may be filled with many doubts, fears, afflictions or even the threat of death but here David reminds us of his trust in God who has the ability to calm the mind and grant him peace and comfort. Life here on earth may be daunting at times as a result of the many vicissitudes of life, but we can always trust in the Shepherd’s leading.
11. The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1
God is our light in our dark times and when we are consumed in fear and insecurities, He will always be there to provide a path of safety. You do not have to live with the discomfort of having constant fear when you learn to trust God and allow him to protect you like a loving Father. There is healing in God’s word and you too can access that healing.
12. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
The term “Fear Not” has been discovered to be the most repeated words in the bible. God knows we would need this reminder and just as He had reassured the Israelites by reminding them that He was the one who called them and would take care of them, it is the same message that He is sending us today.
Yes, there are many events in life which will arouse fear in us but God is faithful and amidst all the threats, everything will work in His favour to bring Him glory.
Bible verses to Calm Anxiety
God will always provide a safe haven to those who diligently seek and trust in Him. Here are some bible verses which will help to calm anxiety:
13. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalms 16:11
When we abide in God’s presence, we can be confident in His power to grant us unspeakable joy. God wants to fill your heart with gladness, you are not alone and His powerful hands of love will carry you daily.
Exercise your faith and trust in Him and you will experience His pleasures here on earth and in the life to come.
14. He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalms 46:10
Shaking hands, heart racing, palms sweating, cloudy thoughts, yes, sometimes it is so hard to experience stillness. Trust in the divine sedative found in God’s word and experience the peace and tranquility that He alone can give. Pray to God in faith and ask Him to help you to fix your eyes totally on Him. God’ wants to calm your trembling heart and set you free. Do not be anxious, you need only to Be Still”.
15. Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Luke 12: 22-24
As Jesus spoke to His disciples who were apprehensive about their future, He paused to remind them of His providential care of the things of nature. The birds are fed each day without the exertion of great effort; plants thrive under the mighty hands of God’s amazing providence.
As human created in the image of God, you are more important to God than the birds and plants. You are blessed to be on this earth and if God has given you this precious gift of life, then He has the ability to sustain you.
Fear, panic, depression and anxiety do not have to control you. God wants to set you free and place you on a path of wholeness, peace and tranquility.
There’s nothing too hard for the Lord to do and that includes the restoration of your peace and well-being. Spend time in God’s words and allow Him to impress upon your heart, words of assurance and affirmation, talk to Him in prayer and meditate on Him.
God wants you to live a fulfilling life, allow Him to grant you His healing and deliverance.