Bible Verses About Not Giving Up
God has a plan for all of us as His children, and nothing can get in the way of that. But the Lord never wants us to lose faith, and sometimes we need lots of encouragement. Scattered throughout the Holy book are Bible verses about not giving up when times get tough. These are the scriptures we should lean on when we are experiencing adversities.
Save these verses below for when you’re at the end of your tether and need a little uplifting. Nothing will cheer you up quite like these 11 Bible verses about Not giving up.
1. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” - Joshua 1:9 NIV
2. “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” - Galatians 6:9 NIVIn Galatians, we learn that even when we’re tired, we should continue to put our best foot forward because it will only benefit us in the long run. It seems that God agrees with the saying, you reap what you sow. We can see that in the verse below.
3. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11 NIVIn Jeremiah, we learn that God has a great plan for every single one of us. For that plan to be fulfilled, we need to be around to see it. With the hope of this wonderful future in mind, we shouldn’t give up because God’s plan is better than anything we could have come up with ourselves.
4. “When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” - John 8:12 Berean Study Bible
If you’re in a place in your life where you’re close to giving up, then know that there is hope and a metaphorical light at the end of the tunnel. If you trust in Christ Jesus, he will be your light and your hope.
5. “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” - Matthew 7:7-8 NIV
For those who are feeling like life is a series of trials, know that if you keep going, God will reward you. All you need to do is ask for His help and guidance along your journey. As His child, God wants you to have a great life, so don’t be afraid to pray in times of need.
6. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” - James 1:2-4 NIV
7. “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” - Isaiah 40:29-31 NIV
In Isaiah, we learn that although we might grow weary, God will restore our energy. Man doesn’t have the capacity to keep going on their own, but God can give you rest that allows you to keep running the race.
8. “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NIV
In 1 Corinthians, Paul clarifies that we should not give up but rather be persistent in our good work. We, as people, need to live a life that pleases God and yields the results He wants for our lives according to his purpose.
Scriptures on Giving Up
Above, you found verses that told you to never give up. But what does the Word of the Lord have to say about giving up? Is there a time and a place to throw in the towel? These Bible verses reveal the truth about what God wants for our lives.
9. “But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.
I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” - Philippians 3:7-14 NIV
In Philippians, Paul the Apostle talks about his losses and the things he has given up to follow Christ Jesus. In this Bible verse, we see that not all losses are bad. If we are losing something in order to gain something better (in this case, salvation through Jesus Christ), then what we are giving up is worth the loss.
Bible Verses About Not Giving Up On Love
Love is hard. This is common knowledge. Sometimes we need a few uplifting verses about not giving up on love and those that we hold dear to us. Give these Bible verses a read to find out what God has to say on the matter.
10. “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” -1 Corinthians 13:4 NIV
In 1 Corinthians, Paul writes about how we need to be persistent in love. Even though it is not always easy, in God, all things are possible. So it’s important that no one give up because he tells us that love never fails.
11. “neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” - Romans 8:39 NIV
In Romans 8, we learn that we shouldn’t give up because the Lord Jesus loves us, and nothing can separate us from the Father. For this reason, we should hold firm in the faith and not lose heart.
Last Notes On Bible Verses About Never Giving Up
God has plenty to tell us in His scriptures when we’re feeling down and out. These Bible verses about not giving up act as an encouragement and inspiration for the times you feel like you just can’t keep going.
Hold these Bible verses close to your heart so you can recall them when you need them most.