Bible verses about Helping the Poor
When we live by God’s word and are inspired by his spirit, we are given a heart of generosity. The Lord, your God, calls on you to be mindful, kind, and give to the poor by helping out in any way that you can. This can be both giving financially or of your time, and the Bible encourages us to be steadfast in helping the poor among us. This includes those that are sick or in prison.
There are many Bible verses about helping the poor. They reflect on how Jesus helped the poor, and we are encouraged to follow in his noble footsteps. Let’s take a look at some of the Bible verses about helping those less fortunate than us.
The Lord God is giving, and these scriptures help us understand why it is important to help the poor and needy and how we can apply this in our own lives.
1. "Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done." - Proverbs 19:17
This Bible verse about giving to the poor among us, confirms that when we are kind or giving to the poor and needy, this lends to the Lord, and we will be rewarded.
By giving to the poor, we are serving others and The Lord Jesus Christ and therefore his purpose for our lives. These deeds will not go unnoticed, and there will be treasure in Heaven for those that give to the poor.
2. "The wicked borrow and do not repay, but the righteous give generously." - Psalm 37: 21
In this Bible verse about helping the poor, we learn two important lessons. The first being that God does not look favorably on those that do not pay their debts. It reminds us to always repay what we have borrowed.
The second lesson is that the Lord looks favorably on those that give generously, calling them virtuous. The Bible speaks of raising the poor from the dust and the needy from the ash. By having generosity in your heart and serving one of your brothers or sisters, you are assisting in fulfilling these Biblical revelations.
3. “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” - Matthew 19:21
Sometimes it is hard to part with what we have. We feel as though we have worked hard for our possessions and find it difficult to share this with the poor and needy around us. The Bible tells us to help the needy in any way possible and this includes a call to give refuge to a poor brother and shelter from the storm.
However, in this scripture on helping the poor, we are reminded that we must not place our worth on our worldly possessions but on what is waiting for us in Heaven. If we invite the poor to share in our possessions on earth, we will have treasure in Heaven that will be greater than any on earth.
4. "Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses." - Proverbs 28:27
This is another one of the Bible verses about helping the poor that reminds us that those who give freely to the poor and needy will be blessed and want for nothing.
In contrast, whoever oppresses the poor and turns away from the cry of the needy will not be blessed.
5. “Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.” - Matthew 5:42
This Bible verse is very clear in its message. Stating that you should always lend a hand to your brother by never refusing them if they ask to borrow from you.
It is a reminder that when you see poverty, your heart shall not harden but rather imitate the actions of the Lord your God with a giving spirit.
6. “The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor.” - Proverbs 22:9
God will bless those that are generous with their possessions and time. If there is someone needy in your land and you assist them by sharing in the harvest of your land, you will receive the grace of our Lord.
If anyone who has food and shares with their brothers and sisters knows that the Lord will bless them. This act shows some justice for the poor, and the Lord Jesus will acknowledge this.
7. “So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full” - Matthew 6:2
This is one of the Bible verses about helping the poor that reminds us to be humble in our actions. When you lend a hand to your brother or sister, it is a way to acknowledge the rights of the poor and set the oppressed free.
However, when helping one of your brothers, it is important to do so with humility, and you will be rewarded in the Kingdom of God.
8. “Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.” - Proverbs 14:31
God asked us to remember the poor among us, and by answering the cry of the poor you are honoring the kingdom of God. The Lord, your God, recognizes these acts of kindness towards your poor brother or sister, including those sick or in prison.
9. “If your brother becomes poor and cannot maintain himself with you, you shall support him as though he were a stranger and a sojourner, and he shall live with you” - Leviticus 25:35
This is one of the Bible quotes about helping the poor that states that we should treat our brother as we would a stranger or traveler and know that the Lord will bless us. We are reminded to open our homes to anyone who may need a place to sleep and support them in their time of need.
10. “For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, ‘You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy, and to your poor in your land’” - Deuteronomy 15:11
The Bible states that there will always be someone poor in your land. Most of us are confronted with issues such as homelessness and beggars when we are driving from home. This verse clearly states that God commands us to be generous and giving when we see needy people in our areas.
11. “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake, he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9
Here we are reminded of the good news of Jesus and how he became poor so that his people could flourish. This is also a great reminder that God does not judge people on their poverty or wealth but their giving hearts and ability to give up what they have for others.
It is also a great reminder that God is giving and that he wants us to be the same. Rather than placing our worth in our riches, which can easily be taken away, we should place our worth in him, who is constant.
12. “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - Luke 6:38
This is just one of the Bible verses about helping the needy where we are told that if we give to a poor brother we will be given to in return. Sometimes it is difficult to give out to the poor as we feel as though we are just losing out and not gaining anything in return. However, God reminds us that he will honor our actions and we will have treasure in Heaven.
13. “Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.” - Luke 12:33
When we are struggling to part with money or possessions to help those less fortunate than us, this is a good reminder that money and wealth can be destroyed.
It is easy for people to lose their wealth on earth from bad investments to job losses and this verse talks about theft and moths destroying money. However, in Heaven, the treasure can never be destroyed and we should place our value in this rather than worldly possessions.
14. “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” Proverbs 31: 8-9
Helping the poor is not only about giving of your money and time but also speaking up for them and giving them a voice when they sometimes do not have one. Here we are called to defend the rights of the poor and needy and ensure that we speak up against any inequalities that they might face.
15. All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along.” - Galatians 2:10
Even if you are unable to give to the poor through money, food, or shelter, do not feel as though you are unable to enrich their lives in any way. We are also called to remember the poor and serve them with our time.
This can include volunteering help at shelters, helping with preparing or serving food. As well as volunteering in schools or orphanages in poor communities who need extra help or expertise in certain areas. This is as valuable as making monetary donations.
16. “John answered, "Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same." - Luke 3:11
God commands us to share what we have and in this verse, there are examples of food and clothing. He asks that we share what we have and give to those that we come across that do not have the same as us.
This is also a reminder that we shouldn’t live with excess material possessions. It is easy to get caught up in a world where we constantly want the best and newest things in life and often end up accumulating more than we need. This is a great reminder that if we have more than we need that we should share with others.
God Asked Us to Remember the Poor
The Bible also speaks about how people in poverty might become rich one day in Heaven. But until then, we are called to assist our poor brothers and sisters in any way that we can. The Lord, your God, will reward such good deeds because, with your acts, you are honoring the kingdom of God.
The above inspiring scriptures on giving to the poor are a way of encouraging us to have generous spirits in all we do by responding to the cry of the poor. As Jesus helped us, the poor and needy, by dying on the cross, we are too called to help the poor and needy in our daily lives.