20 Mighty Powerful Bible Verses about Thankfulness
Bible Verses about Thankfulness
It is important for us to take some time to express gratitude for the many things in our lives which include our friends. We should express our thankfulness to others and should even be grateful for the challenging times.
Being thankful enhances the quality of our lives and showing appreciation for even the little things is important. Here are some bible verses expressing thankfulness.
Table of Contents
Bible verses about Thankfulness for Friends
Our friends have some of the biggest influence on our lives...good and bad. We found some great examples of friendships in the Bible for you in this section. Reading about them will help you to be grateful for your personal circle of friends.
1. Then Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, “Go back, each of you, to your mother’s home. May the Lord show you kindness, as you have shown kindness to your dead husbands and to me. Ruth 1:8
After the death of her sons, Naomi tried to convinced her daughters-in -law, Ruth and Orpah to return to their homeland. The women have established a special bond with Naomi - a woman of God who had instilled great values and Godly principles in their lives.
Their friendship blossomed over the years and as Naomi tried to convinced them to return home, she never failed in thanking them for the kind deeds that she had received from them.
Friends can leave an indelible mark on the lives of others and showing appreciation is vital, as the benefits of a good relationship should not be undermined. Demonstrating Godly principles is also an admirable quality in friendship.
2. Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the Lord, saying, ‘The Lord is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever.’” Then David left, and Jonathan went back to the town. 1 Samuel 20:42
The friendship between David and Jonathan is one of the most devoted friendships recorded in the bible. Their departure from each other was filled with deep human emotion and sadness as David tried to escape from Saul and Jonathan returned to his family.
These men have over the years shared mutual faith and trust in the only true God and have impacted the lives of each other in contributing to their spiritual growth and development.
As these friends separated, they knew they were united in heart and spirit. Even if a reunion is not possible, their faith in God’s goodness would allow their dedication to each other to remain unbroken.
Jonathan was grateful for David’s friendship and he sincerely bid him to “go in Peace”. We too should be grateful for friendships that help us to grow in our knowledge of Christ. We should show gratitude to those who inspire us on our walk of faith.
3. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. John 15:13-15
There is no greater gift in life than having a trusted, loyal and loving friend. Yes, regardless of your experiences, there are still persons who demonstrate extraordinary qualities and would even face death in honour to a friend that they love and care for.
These words were spoken by Jesus who is a perfect example of a true friend who has made the ultimate sacrifice by dying to save humanity. Jesus still invites us to develop a close friendship with him so that we may be saved.
We should learn to express thanks to those who continue to show love and support towards us. The endearing love of a genuine friend who continues to inspire and motivate is to be treasured. “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver. Proverbs 25:11
4. A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity. Proverbs 17:17
We should be thankful to God for friends who love us unconditionally and who will always be available in our good times and our bad times.
We need to be very wary of those persons who seek to establish relationship based on self-aggrandizement, material gains or other selfish motives. The brotherly love that exists between friends who love unselfishly is a demonstration of the pure love that God has for His children.
5. For the sake of my family and friends, I will say, "Peace be within you." Psalm 122:8
Friends are special people who we share special bonds and attachments. We should be grateful to God for these special treasures, who in most circumstances continue to stick around during thick and thin.
True and genuine friendships are to be highlighted and appreciated. God is the giver of peace and that’s the greatest wish you can have for a friend.
Bible verses about Thankfulness to OthersSometimes we miss the nice little things that people do to us. Having a thankful heart to others will really open your eyes to even the smallest of favors. Here are some scriptures about this topic.
6. He sent messengers to them to say to them, “The Lord bless you for showing this kindness to Saul your master by burying him. May the Lord now show you kindness and faithfulness, and I too will show you the same favor because you have done this. 2 Samuel 2:5-6
Even though David and Saul did not share an amicable relationship while Saul was alive, he chose not to harbour any bitterness in his heart in his death but rather thank the persons who had participated in his burial. David thanked these men and pledged his support in rewarding them for their kind deeds.
It is our duty to show kindness to others by being thankful for their help and support in advancing the work of the Lord. You will realize that when you focus on being kind, even in the event of past hurts, you can be free as you now experience God’s blessed peace and contentment.
7. To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 1:7-8
The church in Rome was very special to the Apostle Paul and he paused to thank God for them in his words of encouragement to the believers. He expressed gratitude to the people of God for adhering to the teachings of God’s word that he had imparted to them. As their ministry is shared in other parts of the world, Paul thanked them for representing Christ.
Our duty is also to thank persons who are receptive to God’s word and encourage them on life’s journey.
8. I thank my God every time I remember you.In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. Philippians 1:3-5
Paul thanked his dedicated partners in ministry and assured them that he was praying for them. Having the support of these loyal Thessalonians were beneficial in advancing the work of God. It is good to show gratitude to those who work in partnership in spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ as they dedicate their time in sharing the joyful message of salvation.
9. We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. 1 Thessalonians 1:2
One of the best ways in expressing gratitude to our friends is to mention them in our prayers. “…..The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” James 5:16
10. “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26
We should be grateful to God for the friends in our lives and as often as possible use the opportunity to pronounce God’s blessings over their lives.
Bible verses about Thankfulness in Hard TimesHis love endures during the easy times and hard times. But sometimes its hard to give thanksgiving when things are really tough. Here are some bible verses to help you be thankful during those times hard times.
11. Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16 -18
Life is full of ups and downs, there are days filled with rains but then there are days filled with warm sunshine. Regardless of the situations we experience in life, we have a caring and compassionate God, who is clothed in wisdom and mercy and who loves and cares for us. It is for this reason that we can be confident and choose to remain thankful, even in challenging circumstances.
Trust God to meet all your needs and rely on His unfailing strength in all situations.
12. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. Psalm 100:4
We can approach God each day with a grateful heart, knowing that His constant care and protection abide with us in every area of our lives. Honour, thanksgiving and gratitude to God bring peace and contentment which surpasses all our understanding. In every season of our lives, we can choose to offer praises to God as His name is worthy to be praised.
13. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
We can give thanks to God in our dark times as He is the giver of light and who will provide direction as we seek to place our hope and trust in Him. In this Psalm, David expressed His assurance of God’s constant protection in His difficult times as He knows that He will lead Him on a path of safety.
Our valley experiences may be uncomfortable but we can still praise God on our rough path as He will never fail us. He will gently lead us on a path of safety as He walks beside us as a constant companion and offers comfort on the journey to restoration.
14. I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. Psalm 34:1
Yes, “at all times”, we can offer praise and thanks to God. In every situation that we experience, God’s mercies will endure forever and His love for us will never cease.
He is there in our sad times and our happy times, in our successes as well as our failures. Thankfulness to Him should continually be uttered from our lips as we serve a faithful God who is worthy of our praise and adoration.
15. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57
Through the death and resurrection of our Saviour, Jesus Christ, we too can experience victory over sin. This great news gives us the confidence to live above sin in our sinful world. God’s love for mankind gives us more reason to celebrate and thank Him for His goodness towards us. Difficult times may threaten to consume us but we can be overcomers through Christ, the overcomer.
Bible verses about Thankfulness for the Little ThingsSeeing the small things in life and really appreciating them can bring positivity to your life. I hope the following verses in the section about being watchful and thankful should help you notice the small things in life.
16. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17
Each day we are gifted with great things from God, whether big or small. We often spend time in thanking God for the big things He’s bestowed on us but we should pause to thank Him for the little things in our lives – the beautiful things we can admire in nature or the gift of a smile from a stranger. God never fails to reward us with His marvellous blessings.
God does not change or refuse to bless us and for this we need to show Him our tremendous gratitude.
17. Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. 1 Chronicles 16:8-9
If you could only pause to evaluate the magnitude of God’s blessings on you each day, then you would choose to offer more adoration and praises to Him.
Abraham witnessed God’s abiding presence as He led the children of Israel. He experienced God’s mighty hands of protection in the preservation of their lives as He saved them from the destruction of the enemy.
In our daily routines, we are sheltered under the wings of God’s protection and we should thank Him for daily carrying us in His arms of safety as He shields us from the enemy’s attacks.
18. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15
Thanksgiving and gratitude to God should be demonstrated in our relationship with each other. It is God’s desire for His children to live in peace and harmony as they choose to enjoy the little things in life that bring long lasting joy and satisfaction.
19. Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:2-5
Whether large or small, God continues to provide us with daily benefits. His goodness in offering healing, forgiveness and redemption is a demonstration of His love and compassion and His grace far exceeds anything this world can give. Give thanks to God for the little things. “Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,who daily bears our burdens.” Psalms 68:19
20. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6
Do not become consumed in fear and anxiety but rather choose to give thanks to God for His mercies towards you. God hears your petitions, whether it may be a great or small requests that you made to Him. He is concerned about even the minute details in your life and for this you should be grateful.
We should continue to offer thanksgiving and gratitude to God for everything that He continues to bless us with in our lives. His awesome power and goodness exceed our expectations and we should continue to glorify Him as He is the giver of all good gifts. God bestows wonderful gifts in all seasons of our lives, and for this we should be thankful.