22 Comforting Bible Verses for a Broken Heart (Full Commentary)
Bible Verses for a Broken Heart
If you are heartbroken and you are seeking Comfort, you have come to the right place. God always wants us to know that he is ever-present regardless of what we are going through. He is close to us at all times and is ready for us to come to Him.
So here is a list of scriptures that could comfort you through your heartbreak.
Table of Contents
- Matthew 11:28 NIV
- John 14:27 NIV
- Psalm 147:3 NIV
- Revelation 21:4 ESV
- Romans 5:8 ESV
- Isaiah 41:10 NIV
- Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV
- Psalm 46:1-2 KJV
- Hebrews 13:5-6 ESV
- Romans 15:13 ESV
- Luke 20:17 ESV
- Psalms 9:9 NIV
- Psalm 30:5 NIV
- Psalm 34:18 NIV
- Isaiah 61:1 NIV
- Psalm 56:8 ESV
- Psalm 62:8 ESV
- Galatians 6:2 ESV
- Hebrews 4:15 ESV
- Psalm 55:22 ESV
- Proverbs 4:23 ESV
- Psalm 119:10-11 (ESV)
- Conclusion for scriptures for a broken heart
1. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened; and I will give you rest..."Matthew 11:28 NIV
Jesus wants us to run to Him when our hearts are heavy and when we seek comfort. It is an important part of the Christian walk to always run to Jesus. We do not need to run to food, alcohol, or TV. Jesus is standing with His arms wide open waiting for you to come to Him.
2. "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubles and do not be afraid." John 14:27 NIV
This peace Jesus speaks of comes from the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-25). It is important to pray and ask that the Holy Spirit fills you every day regardless of what you are feeling because He leads us on the right path and protects our hearts.
3. "He heals the broken-hearted, and bandages their wounds" Psalm 147:3 NIV
There are many times when we feel deep within our souls so much heart and we think nothing can take away that sharp pain but in truth, Jesus Christ can. He died on the cross and promises us eternal life in Him. He also says in scripture that He will wipe away every tear and there will be no pain but only peace that remains, place your truth in Him and in Him alone.
4. "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.." Revelation 21:4 ESV
God has come to make all things new, In the beginning in Genesis 3, Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden tree, and humanity was cursed because of the choices we make, we constantly choose self and in a world with a bunch of selfish people, many will get hurt.
So God sent Jesus Christ to die for our sins, fix our hearts, change the way we view ourselves, view others, and most importantly, how we view Him. When we see things for what they are, the healing process begins. Truth is revealed in the word of God and this is how we see things for what they are. The world is full of deception because of the enemy and therefore God has given us a tool to guide and help us. The Bible.
5. “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 ESV
I loved you at your darkest.
When we do evil things, when we hurt others, when we just literally do our worst, it hurts God to see the way we do things. So at our darkest, God sees a daughter or his son do things that go blatantly against Him, out of love, He hurts to see us become things we weren’t meant to become.
Out of love, He decided, regardless of how good you are, regardless of how much you do not deserve it. He gave mercy and grace through Jesus Christ. He crushed himself to defeat evil for our good. There is no greater love than that. So when you are heartbroken, remember that God loves you regardless of what happened, that you can turn to Him, and that it is never too late.
6. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, yes, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 NIV
God strengthens us through the work of His Holy Spirit. God gives us His strength when we are weak. God is the most powerful being that exists. So there is nothing you can’t get through, you have God holding you up with His righteous right hand. There is no better option than Him.
7. " Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV
This verse comes from a story in the Bible where the Israelites were too afraid to face their enemies because their enemies had bigger men, more weapons, and armor than they did. But God said they should go and face them regardless because He will be with them. They needed to face them to take the promised land that God gave them.
If you have ever read the Old Testament stories from Genesis to Joshua, there you will truly see the truth of God’s providence for His people.
With that in mind, you can truly live at peace and know that He is for you. Make Him the Lord and Saviour of your life and you won’t have to fear a thing.
8. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;”Psalm 46:1-2 KJV
Can you imagine what it would be like if the Earth were to be removed and we had no choice but to fly around in space with no gravity, how scary would that be? They must have put their trust in God to the test. Why don’t you do the same and see what happens? I pray for confidence and healing for you as you do this. God does not forsake His own.
9."Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5-6 ESV
I believe this verse can be a reference to any sin including the one mentioned (the love of money). Why I say this is because I know God to never leave or forsake me, I know He is my helper and I know I have nothing to fear.
God comes through, I should know. Life is tough and sometimes you have nothing but God which should be called a blessing in disguise because if it weren’t for my lowest moments, I would not know God the way I do now. There is no greater gift than knowing Jesus Christ.
10. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." Romans 15:13 ESV
If you are filled with the Spirit of God, you will receive peace no matter how sad a situation can be because He has truly overcome evil and the Spirit brings that knowledge to you too. So pray that He is with you.
11. "But he looked directly at them and said, “What then is this that is written: “‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone?” Luke 20:17 ESV
The builders the writer is speaking about are the Jews in Israel who rejected Jesus. They refer to Jesus as the cornerstone. The cornerstone was the first stone that was set during the building process, careful measurements were always taken to ensure that the cornerstone was square to ensure proper alignment of the remainder of the building. Without Jesus, we would have no direction and no foundation.
Evaluate why you are broken-hearted because sometimes Jesus is not the cornerstone of your life. With Jesus firmly planted as your foundation, healing, peace, goodness, and truth will guide you and strengthen you.
12. "The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble." Psalms 9:9 NIV
No matter how difficult our lives become, God is powerful, sovereign and He cares deeply for our needs. Although we do sometimes feel like the world is coming to an end, we can find comfort if the God of all Comfort.
13. "For His anger endures but a moment, in His favor is life; weeping may endure for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." Psalm 30:5 NIV
Being heartbroken is such an intense feeling because something we once had is not there anymore… You may feel alone and afraid of what is the next step, what does the future hold?
So we become angry, filled with grief, pain, hatred, fear, and sadness. In this place of pain, it just shows evidence that we know it is good out there and we know this is not the way things are supposed to be, or feel.
I am here to tell you, there is goodness, there is light at the end of the tunnel, there is a place where pain and tears of pain don’t exist. That place can only be found in Jesus and He has promised that He will build His kingdom and it starts with you believing in Him for you to see what He has planned.
Read Ephesians, Matthew, John, Luke, Mark, read Isaiah, read all the prophets in the Old Testament, and hear their stories, within their stories is a prophecy that runs through the Bible that is fulfilled by Jesus. He is the messiah they speak of, the one who has come to set the captives free, to establish a New Jerusalem and place of peace ruled by the Prince of peace.
He is our joy in the morning.
14. “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18 NIV
The enemy wants to keep us from knowing the truth that God loves us deeply, he does not want us to receive the courage we need to move forward when life is hard.
But God wants us to know Him, He wants us to know that He is present there with us especially when we are going through the worst.
This psalm should remind us that God is not only there with us but He is close. Near to the anguish, the grief and pain we are feeling. He is close to the loss we cannot fill. He is near to the needs we have that we can’t even identify.
He knows our pain and He knows our suffering. He loves you and knows you intimately and there is nothing that can stop Him. Reach out to Him, He is right there.
15. “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners” Isaiah 61:1 NIV
This verse is significant because this is something Jesus would say in the future after this verse was written.
This is significant because Jesus is THE one who comes to save, He is THE superman we are looking for, THE warrior, THE ultimate superhero we need. He is the one who has saved us as He said.
You are no longer a captive, you are no longer blind from the truth, you are no longer oppressed, you have the good news, belief in Him, Seek His kingdom first and all will be added.
16. “You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. And they not in your book?” Psalm 56:8 ESV
God remembers every single time you were hurt and he counts all your tears, He will avenge you when the time comes. He is truly someone who intimately cares for you.
17. “Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. Selah” Psalm 62:8 ESV
You need to pray, God wants to hear from you, You do not have to write a scripted prayer, he wants to hear you, and not some rehearsed script. He wants you. Pour out your heart before Him (Psalm 62:8).
18. “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2 ESV
Friends are there for you when you need it when you feel alone. Run to your friends because all Christians are called to bear one another’s burdens.
19. “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” Hebrews 4:15 ESV
Jesus understands what it’s like to lose a loved one, he knows all our hurts because He is human too that is why is able to relate, so when you run to Him, you are not running to someone who does not understand. He knows what you need.
20. “Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.” Psalm 55:22 ESV
God will sustain us, He will never let us fall, and He cares for us. God is able to support us mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Anything that is meant to overwhelm us He wields it to make us stronger, to guide us in building character.
So when faced with challenges and trials, look at it as a lesson and rise above it.
21. “Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.” Proverbs 4:23 ESV
In order to fully understand the meaning of this verse, we need to put it in its context, there are surrounding verses that flow with the verse to help us grasp what it is to guard the heart.
“My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For the are life to those who find them and healing to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life. Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk from you. Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you. Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. Do not swerve to the right or to the left, turn your food away from evil.” -Proverbs 4:20-27
To guard your heart you must fill it with God’s word. In this verse, the instruction is not just to guard our hearts but to guard God’s instructions within our hearts. We are also told here that instruction from God “is your life”.
What is in our hearts will reflect out in our daily life, so if our hearts are sinful, it will reflect in life. We need to be careful what we allow inside because whatever is within will flow outward.
22. “With my whole heart I seek you; Let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” - Psalm 119:10-11 (ESV)
Guarding your heart does not only mean to protect yourself from getting hurt at all cost but to guard your heart also means to protect your heart from sin at all cost.
Conclusion for scriptures for a broken heart
When looking at these scriptures there is no doubt that God is close to those who are brokenhearted. Jesus is the ultimate comforter and caregiver. The ultimate superhero. We call God our Abba which means ‘Father’ for a reason. Although He is our sovereign King, He is also our father that we can reach out to when things don’t make sense.
Spend time in His word and search it, study it and the truth will set you free. “My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them and healing to all their flesh.” - Proverbs 4:20-22